Power station? Eco Flow or Anker SOLIX F3800

stephane

Will a power station, something like the Eco Flow series, charge the Stark up? Thanks
Did you end buying one of them?
I have to admit I am lost in trying to figure out what is actually appropriate vs. overkill.
My requirement is to fast charge the varg with a quiet system that can stay in the car/truck and does not require ventilation like a gas powered generator. (actually it is an assumption of mine but may be they do need to be used in a ventilated area to avoid heating?).

bluefxstc

I have to admit I am lost in trying to figure out what is actually appropriate vs. overkill.
My requirement is to fast charge the varg with a quiet system that can stay in the car/truck and does not require ventilation like a gas powered generator. (actually it is an assumption of mine but may be they do need to be used in a ventilated area to avoid heating?).
Overkill is always appropriate. :ricky:

Theo

Here is a video in Italian (the automatically traslated English subtitles look understandable) in which they describe the use a power station to chage a Varg:
The interesting part starts @ 8:09.
They say that that specific power station can produce 3,000 W and that the number can be increased a little thanks to the solar panels; in that sunny winter day at -I guess- roughly 45° latitude they got roughly 100 extra W.
I think that the closest solution for the US market with that brand of power stations is this one, BTW:
BLUETTI EP500Pro Solar Power Station | 3,000W 5,120Wh
I don't know whether that version has the suitable sockets for the American plugs used with the Varg, though.

Well, that setup may very well be as cool as they say it is, but it's so expensive! That power station for the Italian market costs 4,000 + something € without the solar panels and in the two tracks where I've been so far with the Varg the current supply cost me 3 € in one case and 10 € in the other.
Other tracks don't give acces to electricity in the first place and as always there are many things to consider, but really by the time the money saved from the fee at the track makes up for that expense, the battery of the bike itself will probably have been replaced first, or maybe the entire bike, possibly with a future model for which the range of one charge is enough.

stephane

Here is a video in Italian (the automatically traslated English subtitles look understandable) in which they describe the use a power station to chage a Varg:
The interesting part starts @ 8:09.
They say that that specific power station can produce 3,000 W and that the number can be increased a little thanks to the solar panels; in that sunny winter day at -I guess- roughly 45° latitude they got roughly 100 extra W.
I think that the closest solution for the US market with that brand of power stations is this one, BTW:
I don't know whether that version has the suitable sockets for the American plugs used with the Varg, though.

Well, that setup may very well be as cool as they say it is, but it's so expensive! That power station for the Italian market costs 4,000 + something € without the solar panels and in the two tracks where I've been so far with the Varg the current supply cost me 3 € in one case and 10 € in the other.
Other tracks don't give acces to electricity in the first place and as always there are many things to consider, but really by the time the money saved from the fee at the track makes up for that expense, the battery of the bike itself will probably have been replaced first, or maybe the entire bike, possibly with a future model for which the range of one charge is enough.
Grazie Mille Theo. It was really good. I watched til the end to confirm that they think in about 2 hrs the bike would be fully charged. I assumed than that portable battery allows for fast charging.
@TCMB371 I seem to recall you mentioning in a post that for a generator it would be best to get a minimum output of 240v 4000W generator. Would this requirement also apply for a portable battery or would 3000W at 240v be sufficient?

Theo

Grazie Mille Theo. It was really good. I watched til the end to confirm that they think in about 2 hrs the bike would be fully charged. I assumed than that portable battery allows for fast charging.
@TCMB371 I seem to recall you mentioning in a post that for a generator it would be best to get a minimum output of 240v 4000W generator. Would this requirement also apply for a portable battery or would 3000W at 240v be sufficient?
Non c'é di che! :)

Yes, if indeed the OEM charger of the Varg is capable of 3.3 kw and that power station can deliver 3 kw + some contribution from the solar panels, it should charge the bike roughly at the maximum rate allowed from the OEM charger.
At a certain point the owner of the bike sets the charging rate at 8 A and then the station starts delivering those 3 + kw.

Now that I think about it, in a recent interview A. Wass said that the cells in the Varg battery can be recharged way faster than that; that's why their factory race bikes were charged faster than we can do:
Therefore, maybe if someone wants to buy a power station it could make sense to buy one more powerful than 3.3 kw, because considering Wass' words, I wouldn't be surprised if in the future we'll have for example the option of a 5 kw charger. Considering that those stations are not cheap, I think that if you buy a new one then it should be the right one right away, or maybe we could consider a second hand one for now (if we find it), and then possibly replace it in the future.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
So, I like the idea of the battery backup to charge the bike, being silent and simple. However, nobody ever really talks about the fact that you are really only going to get one full recharge of the bike with these.

The battery is only slightly larger than the battery on the bike. Even adding the maximum solar panels won’t recharge these batteries very quickly. So, if you only need one full bike recharge (or a couple of partial recharges) during the day, it might be a good option. But if you need power over a few days, like multiple motos over a weekend, it won’t be able to do that. A generator would be the better option in that scenario, as you just keep adding gas.

Theo

So, I like the idea of the battery backup to charge the bike, being silent and simple. However, nobody ever really talks about the fact that you are really only going to get one full recharge of the bike with these.

The battery is only slightly larger than the battery on the bike. Even adding the maximum solar panels won’t recharge these batteries very quickly. So, if you only need one full bike recharge (or a couple of partial recharges) during the day, it might be a good option. But if you need power over a few days, like multiple motos over a weekend, it won’t be able to do that. A generator would be the better option in that scenario, as you just keep adding gas.
3.5 kw or higher kw generators are also way cheaper, besides I've heard a lot of people using generators to power tyre warmers in parking lots of supermoto tracks and, with 4 strokes bikes hitting limiters in the background, you could barely hear them.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
This one has only a 120V output. It's not ideal if you want to charge your bike at the track between the motos. You'd really want 240V for that.

Europe has 220V everywhere, so it is always (relatively) fast charging. But here in the US, if you plug into 110V, your charging speed will be more than 2x times slower.

The maximum amperage in the US 110V outlets is also lower compared to the US 240V outlets. If you charge from 110V, you will only be charging at 1,300 - 1,400W.

Correction: Most US-market generators and "power stations" are able to supply up to 30A in an RV-style 110V power outlet. But the Varg's/Alta's chargers won't take more than ~12A from a 110V power source. But they would take ~16A from a 240V source. Twice the voltage and 33% more current = 2.66 times faster charging.This is why you'd want to charge from 240V at the track.

47A

No, I found a semi-quiet (68 db) generator inverter, (Maxpeedingrod 6250IE) that has 240v , 5000w running watts, for just $1000. Also, it only weighs 86 pounds, so I can load it up by myself.

stephane

No, I found a semi-quiet (68 db) generator inverter, (Maxpeedingrod 6250IE) that has 240v , 5000w running watts, for just $1000. Also, it only weighs 86 pounds, so I can load it up by myself.
This is probably the way to go for now. I don't even have the bike yet :)
Thank you for the reference.

Reactions: 47A

DonCox

Anker SOLIX F3800 + Expansion Battery, 7680Wh | 6000W

You can go without 400W solar for $4,799. The price is similar to the Yamaha 6000W generator, and it is silent.
They are offering the Anker Solix F3800 plus an expansion battery BP3800 for $3399 at Costco.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
They are offering the Anker Solix F3800 plus an expansion battery BP3800 for $3399 at Costco.

WOW! I just bought it! Thank you, Don!!! I also added a 400W portable solar panel for $300. A sweet deal!

I was actually eyeing this package yesterday and called Anker. They are a Chinese company (hard to tell), but they have sales offices and warehouses all over the world.

Anker Solix F3800 Specs:
Main Unit: LxWxH 15.1 x 14.6 x 27.6" - 132 lbs
Extra Batt: LxWxH 15.5 x 14.0 x 10.3" - 72 lbs
Total: 204 lbs.

The total size(volume) is similar to the Maxpeedingrod 6250IE generator.

It is the same weight and only 40% of the size of the quietest benchmark Yamaha EF6300iSDE generator, which weighs 200 lbs dry.

Woo-hoo!!! I will let you guys know how it works. Two full battery charges out of a Stark Varg is a lot of riding for me in one day.

Beagle

Honest question, how do you lug that heft around?

Maybe it could stay in the truck while you charge your bike at the track but then obviously comes a point when you need to charge it back?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Honest question, how do you lug that heft around?

Maybe it could stay in the truck while you charge your bike at the track but then obviously comes a point when you need to charge it back?
These are two units, 132 lbs on wheels and 72 lbs without wheels.

If I find a good place for it in my van, I may never have to remove it. I will charge it when the van is parked and plugged in, and it will charge the bike when I am at the track. It's like a battery in a Tesla. It stays in the car.

Beagle

These are two units, 132 lbs on wheels and 72 lbs without wheels.

If I find a good place for it in my van, I may never have to remove it. I will charge it when the van is parked and plugged in, and it will charge the bike when I am at the track. It's like a battery in a Tesla. It stays in the car.

Ok thanks, that's cool if you can charge it while it's in the van.

LFP battery rated for 3000 cycles, it should outlast your Varg and next electric bikes for some years 😁

fred900

My friend just got his 3800 and when plugged in the L14-30 port the stark power converter just clicks. Did you get yours yet? Does it charge? I'm thinking the wiring is not correct for the stark and will need another adapter.

MadpdXabbott

My Anker Solix F3800 works great with the 240 plug, charges fast. I don't have the expansion battery. I pulled 3350 watts after, I re-terminated the bad wiring on the Charger Plug see Forum post.
Check your charger plug
It is stupid heavy and I'm lucky it has wheels. quiet is nice. That is a good deal from Costco. Hope to use my Cyber truck some day, problem solved.