Storm Bee

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I followed the release and adoption of there smaller light bee - learnt that Sur Ron does a good amount of engineering and testing before release and they seem to have good manufacturing and high quality standards.

With the light bee - since it is affordable and a good value lots of people buy it which makes a good performance upgrade market - for a few thousand dollars you can upgrade a light bee to achieve crazy performance

If the storm bee sells a lot of units you will see upgrades come out - also I’m sure Sur Ron is releasing a very moderately tuned bike so it doesn’t have failures - I’m sure to motor can handle more power with controller and battery upgrades

I really hope this bike is successful and high adoption to kickstart the E dirt bike segment
I also hope Sur Run succeeds in all their undertakings. But it seems that by choosing this path, they have put themselves into the Zero's category, not Alta's. Play riding instead of competing with and replacing gas bikes.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I also hope Sur Run succeeds in all their undertakings. But it seems that by choosing this path, they have put themselves into the Zero's category, not Alta's. Play riding instead of competing with and replacing gas bikes.
Competing may not bee their ultimate goal (yet). Selling products is the #1 priority. If they can do that with a serious play bike now, they can bring out a higher performing version later. But they have to do it at a price point that is cheap enough to make it profitable. If Alta did one thing wrong, it was over engineering the bike and using the best components. This made the bike kick ass, but at the expense of sustainability in the long run.

Oded

I always remind myself how much fun I had with my Zero FX. Used it for off road only, with some tweaks & upgrades.
This Sur ron bike bike looks more off road oriented than the dual sport FX.

Since you guys are using it mostly for motocross, I am not sure it will suffice. For the enduro and recreational weekend warrior should be fine. Alta aimed higher obviously.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
Some have provided persuasive arguments countering my comment about the budget suspension and performance and how we all set up bikes which include revalving suspension for specific needs. ( Which is true) Bottom line is, SurRon is using cheap components that most buyers will have to replace to bring a bike to market for a cheap price. In doing so, they are short changing themselves. I would pay more$$ for suspension that may only need to be resprung or revalved Vs suspension you have to completely replace. I can tell anyone personally I have had experience with Fast Ace, its got stiction issues and flex issues no matter what you do, the only resolution is complete replacement. Said that to say this, maybe SurRon's intention is for put put riding, or casual trail riding by people that will only haul this bike on the back of RVs, which is fine, but putting quality suspenders on it would be in their better interest, regardless of buyers intention.

MX2Live

The Alta did not feel heavy when you rode it, but sure did when you dropped it. Very heavy to pick up. 30HP? I think I'd rather modify a Light-bee and upgrade the suspension and wheels. Being 5'8" I like the size. I love the light bee it has so much potential.

standbyu

I think it looks a lot heavier than our Alta’s. I agree that the Alta’s are a little more front end heavy than our conventional bikes, but dropping the forks in the clamps a bit, and adding some air to them helped balance mine out. That Sur Ron just looks like a slow heavy brick with horrible suspension to me. But hey, at least they’re helping with the push of electric dirt bikes which is a good thing.
I notice the panic rev doesn't bring the front up when your in the air like a gas powered bike but I attribute this to absence of a flywheel. Could be part of the reason Altas seem front heavy.