The Alta Factory LHRB

Mark911

I initially tried the Rekluse package. It worked fairly well and kept the rear pedal. The lever is designed for mtn bikes and is a bit fragile. I wanted more power so I went with a brembo lever from a KTM clutch. Worked better but still not what I expected. Added a high leverage lever. Again, marginal improvement. Finally, I added a two piston brembo rear caliper from an older KTM 690 (I think) and got what I was looking for. Lever pressure/response similar to the front brake.
BTY, all the parts including the rear master bypass valve can be sourced individually. I had to fab a custom rear caliper bracket for the two pot caliper, however.
The LHRB is a real competitive advantage. More than offsets not having a clutch in my opinion.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I initially tried the Rekluse package. It worked fairly well and kept the rear pedal. The lever is designed for mtn bikes and is a bit fragile. I wanted more power so I went with a brembo lever from a KTM clutch. Worked better but still not what I expected. Added a high leverage lever. Again, marginal improvement. Finally, I added a two piston brembo rear caliper from an older KTM 690 (I think) and got what I was looking for. Lever pressure/response similar to the front brake.
BTY, all the parts including the rear master bypass valve can be sourced individually. I had to fab a custom rear caliper bracket for the two pot caliper, however.
The LHRB is a real competitive advantage. More than offsets not having a clutch in my opinion.

Good to learn that the individual components are available. I would think that Alta kit uses a clutch master cylinder which must matches the displaced volume of the rear brake pedal master cylinder, otherwise, as you figured out, the volume of brake fluid does not work adequately with the stock rear caliper. I'd like to use the same Alta LHRB master cylinder and use it with the Rekluse RB master cylinder insert components to retain the use the foot brake. A custom brake hose would likely be needed for this as I doubt the Rekluse and Alta/(Brembo) masters use the same threads. Hmmmm.........

Does anyone have info on the Alta master cylinder that is used on their LHRB? If there's no part number on it, I'd be looking for the diameter and stroke of the bore.

snydes

Staff member
I just got my Alta LHRB yesterday, going to work on installing it possibly tonight. If there is anything I can look for that doesn’t require me to disassemble the master let me know and I will.
Good to learn that the individual components are available. I would think that Alta kit uses a clutch master cylinder which must matches the displaced volume of the rear brake pedal master cylinder, otherwise, as you figured out, the volume of brake fluid does not work adequately with the stock rear caliper. I'd like to use the same Alta LHRB master cylinder and use it with the Rekluse RB master cylinder insert components to retain the use the foot brake. A custom brake hose would likely be needed for this as I doubt the Rekluse and Alta/(KTM?) masters use the same threads. Hmmmm.........

Does anyone have info on the Alta master cylinder that is used on their LHRB? If there's no part number on it, I'd be looking for the diameter and stroke of the bore.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
I just got my Alta LHRB yesterday, going to work on installing it possibly tonight. If there is anything I can look for that doesn’t require me to disassemble the master let me know and I will.

Snydes, if you can look the master cylinder over for any identifiable part numbers, I would appreciate it. In addition, outside dimensions of the reservoir might be helpful. I dont mind walking through the KTM dealer with vernier calipers checking out the different clutch MC on all the models!

Mark911, did the Rekluse kit come with installation instructions? Is it possible to PM a copy of those to me? A quick look online didn't bring them up.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I too would be interested to know if Alta uses the stock Brembo clutch lever.

But regardless, I am now tempted to reproduce what Mark911 has done -- install a bigger slave cylinder.

Butch

Poseur
I had the Recluse before I installed the Alta LHRB.
The Alta unit is way better.

Ah, and I have meant to share a couple flaws in the installation instructions...
One is do not tighten the motor cover bolt intill the cable routing is complete, the other is the final plastics/ shroud installation. The order is not quite correct. I forget. No big deal.

I think I will go riding.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
I had the Recluse before I installed the Alta LHRB.
The Alta unit is way better.

Ah, and I have meant to share a couple flaws in the installation instructions...
One is do not tighten the motor cover bolt intill the cable roting is complete, the other is the final plastics/ shroud installation. The order is not quite correct. I forget. No big deal.

I think I will go riding.

Butch, how would feel about loaning me the Rekluse setup so I can take a look at it? I wouldn't install it, just take some measurements and determine the thread diameter and pitch, then ship it right back.

Butch

Poseur
Butch, how would feel about loaning me the Rekluse setup so I can take a look at it? I wouldn't install it, just take some measurements and determine the thread diameter and pitch, then ship it right back.

I gave it to Eric the Frenchman and don't know where it is. I'll ask him next time I see him. If you met us at the Refuel event http://www.refuelraces.com you could prolly play ith it. If it is not yet installed... I need one for my TM 250. Now that I have the LHRB on the Alta I need it on all my bikes. The R6 too.

WoodsWeapon

I believe the bottom of Brembo MCs have a number cast into them indicating fluid displacement. 8.5, 9, 9.5...

snydes

Staff member
As far as the install, here are my notes;

Here is what you get,
IMG_5675.JPG

Instructions were ok, I had to refer to Butch's pictures to verify the location of the gear cover hose clip location since it wasn't specified (although it really couldn't have gone anywhere else anyhow). Be sure to trim and round the corners of the clip so it fits in the recess of the cover.
IMG_5684.JPG

The other clip attaches to the inside shroud bolt and routes up the inside top of the shroud.
IMG_5687.JPGIMG_5688.JPG

The instruction show to route the hose in front of the wiring, but honestly the hose could stand to be a wee bit longer and I felt it was squashing those wires a bit too much at full lock left so I put it behind them as shown.
IMG_5685.JPG

There is a large zip tie to secure the hose around the swingarm. Additionally, the instruction show to keep the rear master cylinder boot guard. I'm not sure why, but until I think of a convincing reason I decided to delete it completely as in my mind its just unnecessary weight.
IMG_5689.JPG

Lastly, if you are watching your weight, if you delete the boot guard like I did, you are just slightly lighter than the original foot brake configuration.
IMG_5676.JPGIMG_5691.JPG

Sorry about the rotated images. I had them rotated accordingly but when I upload them it turns them back :unsure:

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Excellent @snydes ! I found the parts diagram on the Rekluse system and see that the rear brake master cylinder insert is pretty pricey at $150! Would love to find one to look at vs buying one.

snydes

Staff member
If it is just a standard KTM master you can get them on eBay for around $175ish. Then you just need the hose for whatever that might cost. I honestly don't think I'll miss the foot brake so I'm fine with ditching it.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
If it is just a standard KTM master you can get them on eBay for around $175ish. Then you just need the hose for whatever that might cost. I honestly don't think I'll miss the foot brake so I'm fine with ditching it.

You guessed where I'm going with this.......

Mark911

When in doubt always look at late model KTM/Husky for parts. I've used plastic, rear chain guide, brake and master cylinder, sprockets, suspension parts, etc from KTM. Thank goodness, as most Alta dealers are woefully stocked. The rear master cylinder is the same a KTM (Brembo) so the Clake (and other) dual line converters will work fine. If anything, I'd select a smaller lever piston diameter to increase line pressure with the same finger pressure (longer throw, however). The rear caliper has a pretty tiny piston to keep weight down. Works fine with the stock rear pedal leverage and a heavy boot, but it's not quite up to the task when used at the handlebars. Here' my setup. Forgot, also went with an oversized rear rotor. Yes, my LHRB is strong and I almost never use the rear pedal except in emergencies where its more instinctive for now.
IMG_2698.JPG

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
@Mark911 , did you keep the foot operated brake? Can you post a picture of the rear MC? I'd like to see how the two hoses are oriented on top of the foot operated MC.

Ok, last bit of info needed.... has anyone listed the length of hose from the LHRB MC to the foot MC for the dual line setup? Also need the length for the single line set up.

snydes

Staff member
I should have thought to measure that line... sorry! Although I think if you are going the single line set up you may as well just buy the Alta line providing it’s not unreasonable expensive. Probably not a lot to be saved trying to source it somewhere else if that’s the way you end up going.