The Storm Bee is out!

bayodome

no its not, but i use all the power of my 450 as well so its not as quick as i like, i grew up on 2 strokes that would put you on your back throttle response also, so im an exception lol. and most of my rides i barely get 50 minuted out of the battery all in map 4, i cant stand map 1-3 lol but id like more Regen in map 4

"...i use all the power of my 450..."

I didn't know James Stewart was on this forum! Cool! :cool:....:LOL::ROFLMAO:

bayodome

Did anyone catch the details about possible overheating during his top speed runs? The motor is air cooled, so this is very likely.

I've been curious about the cooling issue. I would think riding a full MX moto, for example, would push the air-cooling to it's limit. Have any Light Bee owners played around with adding liquid cooling in any way? Is overheating an issue on those smaller machines?

bayodome

It looks like the Storm Bee test units are finally getting delivered to dealers and ridden. I've been seeing a lot of Sur Ron dealers in Europe playing around with them, mostly in and around Russia.

I asked @surron_ekb how they'd compare it to a 250f and here was their response (a few things didn't quite translate):

"We compared it to huge range of gasoline motorbikes and it was epic. For most motorcyclists it's quite unusual but everyone ride it with great interest. We're collecting feedbacks and will do a short review soon. For now: 1) Balance and weight distribution is different 2) No gears feels like it rides slower than it really is 3) Rain mode is functioning pretty well 4) Suspension was as it's arrived so a lot of riders had questions to it. 5) Dynamic and steering is different but a lot of people like it. In conclusion everyone agreed that electric powered motorcycle is now a new option for experienced riders."

http://instagr.am/p/CGNFR6DA9Io/
http://instagr.am/p/CGJ0-v9gvcO/
I'm very ready to give this bike a try. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

F451

Any news on who will be selling these in the US? And when? Thanks.

Sad-Pablo-Escobar.jpg

Brent421

imo its throttle response (the power is easy to modulate like you said though)but the power doesnt seem to come on quick unless you whip the throttle which my gassers are instant from quarter throttle and the alta signs off around 60 and the throttle really doesnt do much from 60 to 70mph and ive road and owned a few mx and mxrs, but the mxr is much better but still has a delay imo. but regearing my mxr helped alittle as well. but my mxr doesnt have the throttle response of my kx450, thats why i was bumed when there was no 2020 mxr i was hoping it would have been better.
I think something is wrong with your Alta’s if you think a gasser has quicker throttle response. There’s no four stroke or two stroke bike out there with a quicker response than an Alta. Gas bikes have to build up RPM’s before they make it to peak power, the Alta is instant. Not only is the Alta instant, it has 4x the torque of a 450. I sold my 2019 KTM 450 and 2018 KTM 250SX when I picked up 2 2019 Alta MXR’s because the gas bikes simply don’t compare and are outperformed in every area by the Alta’s.

rayivers

I think something is wrong with your Alta’s if you think a gasser has quicker throttle response.

I think metallic88 is referring to the throttle map curve (firmware), which on my Alta is significantly different in map 4, especially below 1/2 throttle (which is why I only use map 4, even in tight woods). I'd personally prefer a straight-line throttle response (i.e., 25% rotation = 25% power, etc.) rather than the Alta's with its big power hit near the end of throttle travel, but that's just me. I'd really love to see the Erzberg maps, or at least a description of how they feel compared to the OEM Alta's.

bayodome

Any news on who will be selling these in the US? And when? Thanks.

Sad-Pablo-Escobar.jpg

Luna Cycle is currently the only official US Sur Ron dealer but from what I understand they've been pretty silent on the Storm Bee front. Not sure why though. But since you can order the Light Bee online from various places, I would imagine the same will hold true for the Storm Bee. The technical support that goes along with having certified dealers would be the only issue there, but that I don't see that being a major concern for people on this forum.

F451

Luna Cycle is currently the only official US Sur Ron dealer but from what I understand they've been pretty silent on the Storm Bee front. Not sure why though. But since you can order the Light Bee online from various places, I would imagine the same will hold true for the Storm Bee. The technical support that goes along with having certified dealers would be the only issue there, but that I don't see that being a major concern for people on this forum.

Yes, Luna has been strangely anti-Storm Bee.

Despite the great owner support here with our Alta's, I would really like to buy my next e-dirt bike from a company with a retail location(s) that stocks parts, offers warranty service, etc. Even if it was not close to me.

If I was a bit healthier I'd be opening a full service e-moto shop, or trying to partner with a local ICE moto dealer to put some resources into e-moto sales and service.

I would take it one step further and open a e-dirt bike only private ORV riding club where test rides could be offered, riding lessons, private coaching (motocross, enduro race level), etc. This same idea could also be done in any number of the empty large retail and warehouse spaces sprinkled around everywhere.

King County in Washington State is ripe for something along these lines. No legal ORV riding areas in the county, no legal MX tracks in the county. Tons of dirt bike riders with good incomes live here and travel long distances to ride. E-dirt bikes could solve all those issues.

Get the city, county, state, Feds behind us to promote green energy investment. Go solar as much as possible.

I already have a partner in mind but he's busy doing other things. Oh well, it will happen sooner or later.

bayodome

Yes, Luna has been strangely anti-Storm Bee.

Despite the great owner support here with our Alta's, I would really like to buy my next e-dirt bike from a company with a retail location(s) that stocks parts, offers warranty service, etc. Even if it was not close to me.

If I was a bit healthier I'd be opening a full service e-moto shop, or trying to partner with a local ICE moto dealer to put some resources into e-moto sales and service.

I would take it one step further and open a e-dirt bike only private ORV riding club where test rides could be offered, riding lessons, private coaching (motocross, enduro race level), etc. This same idea could also be done in any number of the empty large retail and warehouse spaces sprinkled around everywhere.

King County in Washington State is ripe for something along these lines. No legal ORV riding areas in the county, no legal MX tracks in the county. Tons of dirt bike riders with good incomes live here and travel long distances to ride. E-dirt bikes could solve all those issues.

Get the city, county, state, Feds behind us to promote green energy investment. Go solar as much as possible.

I already have a partner in mind but he's busy doing other things. Oh well, it will happen sooner or later.

Literally spelled out my dream right there. All things I have long pondered.

Judaslefourbe

than the Alta's with its big power hit near the end of throttle travel,
That's actually not quite how the Alta works. The different maps limit the rate of acceleration. To illustrate exactly what that means/feels like, test opening the throttle wide open at once at low speed in map 1,2 and 3. You'll see/feel the difference.
If memory serves, in map 1 you can count to 2 or 3 in your head before getting full acceleration.

rayivers

That's actually not quite how the Alta works. The different maps limit the rate of acceleration. To illustrate exactly what that means/feels like, test opening the throttle wide open at once at low speed in map 1,2 and 3. You'll see/feel the difference.
If memory serves, in map 1 you can count to 2 or 3 in your head before getting full acceleration.

Absolutely - this is exactly why I only use map 4, to minimize the limiting effect. Guess I'm just hopelessly old-school, but I prefer being the only control entity in the 'loop'. :)

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I think this delay in the power delivery for different maps is where Alta did most of its development work. ICE bikes don’t have an instant hit when you turn the throttle. They take a moment for the revs to build to the power band. If they did not build in some kind of delay on an electric motor with 50 hp & 142 ft/lbs of instant torque like the Alta, we would all be instantly flat on our backs with an electric buzz-saw on top of us. Or we’d be digging a hole to China if we didn’t get traction. I think they did a great job of making a rideable bike with excellent throttle response that an ICE bike rider could hop right on and feel instantly familiar with the bike and how it worked. They could have made it brutally instantaneous, but that would have made it unrideable, dangerous, and unsellable.

Jared

I would also like it if there was a map where throttle response was purely linear instead of the “rubber-band” effect. Map 4 is best, for sure, and you can get around this timing/delay thing when possible by blipping the throttle about a third of the way and then quickly re-throttling...be careful or you’ll loop out if traction is adequate!