BAD NEWS

Flynryan

Tried to get a few extra parts from my dealer in NC (Sport Durst Powersports) but they told me they couldn't help. Good luck to everyone out there!

Mark911

I did a 2005 yz to 167. Used a maxpower 167 engine. Competitive with 250f on top end. I remember an upgraded shifter piece was needed, known issue for the 2005

Don't want to hijack this thread, but yea, I had the original 167 done by Rick Peterson (RPM) way back in 1999. I also did a 2000 RM 167 with Rick. The Yam was hands down much faster with way more torque. I never heard about the shifting issue until recently and I'm still a bit confused.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
@Philip Maybe it's time for a new section for discussion of sourcing parts and manufacturing replacements, what to do about batteries, etc.

My proposal is to call it DAMN! "Distributed Alta Manufacturing Network" 😂
Ok, I need name for this section that does not suck. Any ideas?

Perhaps several sub-forums for Battery repairs and options, Electrical repairs, Alta-specific body parts?

snydes

Staff member
I agree on several. I would think one specific to diagnostics and hacking firmware/software, maybe one specific to the battery since that will probably be an big issue in the future, another for other electrical and then maybe one big one for everything else.

Speedkills

Parts can be machined, finagled, etc., but what really disappoints me is no open sourcing of the software now that the company has folded. Literally all they had to do was upload a git repo to github, would have taken 5 minutes, and we would have had some hope of maintaining our bikes ourselves with alternate parts that need slight reworking of code to be compatible. For example, sooner or later we'll be out of throttles, and the company that makes them won't make anymore, but a different throttle could be adapted, but would almost certainly need small tweaks to the firmware to work properly. I still have a small hope that one of the employees that left will have a copy on their laptop that will end up open sourced as generic "electric motor control firmware" or at least hope it's not too well encrypted.

schwankl

Ya its probably 3 or so repos/sets of code: firmware configuration/builder/uploader, server, firmware client/laptop. Please someone help with opening these up so we can maintain these amazing bikes. I will buy them from ya.

Silent But Dirty

Alta North
Parts can be machined, finagled, etc., but what really disappoints me is no open sourcing of the software now that the company has folded. Literally all they had to do was upload a git repo to github, would have taken 5 minutes, and we would have had some hope of maintaining our bikes ourselves with alternate parts that need slight reworking of code to be compatible. For example, sooner or later we'll be out of throttles, and the company that makes them won't make anymore, but a different throttle could be adapted, but would almost certainly need small tweaks to the firmware to work properly. I still have a small hope that one of the employees that left will have a copy on their laptop that will end up open sourced as generic "electric motor control firmware" or at least hope it's not too well encrypted.
Don't worry, Im pretty sure it's out there

snydes

Staff member
If it is, it will likely be well protected as a source of income for that person. I have no doubt ex Alta people have it and I wouldn’t blame them for not openly sharing it.

dgedition

Not to mess the thread up but do the regular 2018 EXs with normal batteries throw any death codes rendering the bikes useless?

I've been looking around but cant find much, just the MXR thread on code 36. I only have 30 miles on my bike and trying to figure out whether I should cash my chips in or if this thing will run with no issues for a little while.

Matt Sanders

Craigslist was good to me yesterday. While the Alta sits in limbo, I found a '17 300xcw with a plate(!!). Pretty much as far of an extreme as you can swing bike-wise. Not stoked to buy another bike, but also not stoked to not be able to ride.
IMG_5486.jpg

snydes

Staff member
Not to mess the thread up but do the regular 2018 EXs with normal batteries throw any death codes rendering the bikes useless?

I've been looking around but cant find much, just the MXR thread on code 36. I only have 30 miles on my bike and trying to figure out whether I should cash my chips in or if this thing will run with no issues for a little while.

Just to clarify the code 36 does not render it useless, it still charges and runs "normally". There would likely be a range reduction from this issue I'm told.

But to answer your question, I haven't heard of anyone with the A pack bikes having these problems. At least not that they have posted about.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Alright... By popular demand of those who want to keep riding these bikes we are introducing to you a new forum category titled:

Repair

This category will have several sub-forums. Feel free to make suggestions, if something else can be improved.

1541540795296.png

The current thread is getting a bit off-topic from the Bad News. If you want to find ways to keep riding, please post your questions and answers in
Repair

Thank you.

Oded

We are 3 owners of Redshifts EX (2018) - A battery. So far, so good.

MCP412

Looks like KTM is doing just fine on their own E Program with announcement of their 50cc equivalent today - that pipe dream seems a little short sided.