Varg - Gear Oil Change

Tim Sharp

With the top cover altered it seems there will be a lot of space between the battery and power unit.

This was one struggle I had with mounting the battery back to the frame. It almost to me felt like I had little to no room to reinstall the battery.
Maybe. I will try to post pictures and dimensions, once I have the bike back together. 🤞

Foss

Wonder why they decided to do exposed stainless steal bolts on the top cover rather than recessed with the gen1. I know water collects here but you can blast it out with compressed air…

The top cover material does stain easily due to it being plastic. Also it does crack!!

So far the only major change is the top portion of this power unit which might be interchangeable. Without having to swap the lower gearbox.

IMG_6880.jpeg

Foss

Also this is going to be a huge issue for Stark. And now I understand why they changed the material for the inverter cover.

This cover is compromised, the material is very delicate and any stone or heavy impact to this cover will crack it. With mine I have taken great care of the bike but the material as it ages cracks. I can see Stark doing a recall related to this as time goes on, and seeing their gen2 they have acknowledged inadvertently this needs to be addressed with legacy bikes.

These are stress cracks, and with age and heat. These will grow and water will penetrate the inverter cover.

Luckily there are 7 bolts with 3 internal bolts for the leads to the motor which allows a user to swap the inverter. So there could be an easy fix for this but requires the battery to be dropped.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Torqu3

After seeing your other picture with the cover crack I took a close look at mine externally, I didn't see any. But now with these latest pictures I almost want to take my cover off completely to inspect.

Foss

After seeing your other picture with the cover crack I took a close look at mine externally, I didn't see any. But now with these latest pictures I almost want to take my cover off completely to inspect.
I would be careful removing this cover, it took me some time to remove all the wires carefully. One harness is glued so I cut the wires, but with some nail polish removal it should come off the right way.

but curious if others may have these stress cracks?

Theo

I guess that if water seeps into those cracks it can electrically shock the rider and damage the inverter, too.

From Foss:
I can see Stark doing a recall related to this as time goes on, and seeing their gen2 they have acknowledged inadvertently this needs to be addressed with legacy bikes.
In the Stark's website I see that now they have listed the powertrain again as a spare part and there is also a gen2 conversion kit, but the prices must be wrong: 3,500 € is the same price for gen 1, gen 2 and the kit! I rememeber that the old one used to cost about 700 € and I can't believe that a gen2 kit costs as much as a new gen 2 power unit.

Torqu3

Well of course there's a potential of the rider being shocked I think internal damage from moistures probably the more likely outcome but it's certainly something to keep an eye on.

Foss

On the plus side, I am trying to source someone who can create a mold and turn this into a carbon fiber replacement cover. This should make the bike look a little nicer and stronger.

If anyone is up for the challenge I can send this cover to create a cast.

Chaconne

On the plus side, I am trying to source someone who can create a mold and turn this into a carbon fiber replacement cover. This should make the bike look a little nicer and stronger.

If anyone is up for the challenge I can send this cover to create a cast.
Interesting idea.Very cool.

This is pretty typical for Euro made metal work in my experience. Euro metal work and machining has long been a complaint with KTM and other Euro made stuff like Bosch, Siemens, and BMW and etc. I am glad Stark is addressing it and it seems pretty quickly. Too often in the past Euro companies would leave customers on their own with broken stuff or at the mercy of 3rd party unsupported solutions.

Torqu3

I guess that if water seeps into those cracks it can electrically shock the rider and damage the inverter, too.

From Foss:

In the Stark's website I see that now they have listed the powertrain again as a spare part and there is also a gen2 conversion kit, but the prices must be wrong: 3,500 € is the same price for gen 1, gen 2 and the kit! I rememeber that the old one used to cost about 700 € and I can't believe that a gen2 kit costs as much as a new gen 2 power unit.
Here is my guess, the gen 2 conversion kit is likely just the gen two with provisions to install in a bike shipped with gen one. (Maybe wiring harness differences or changes) Gen two listing is a drop in for a bike that shipped with a gen two assembly.

Theo

Here is my guess, the gen 2 conversion kit is likely just the gen two with provisions to install in a bike shipped with gen one. (Maybe wiring harness differences or changes) Gen two listing is a drop in for a bike that shipped with a gen two assembly.
Those prices are still the same, so probably you are right.

@Tim Sharp: from your pictures I can't understand whether the area where the pull rod mates to the power unit has been changed in Gen 2, as a corrective action to this failure...

Wools

You will have to use some sort of thread tapper to get it out.

I found an alternative which is a hex head and stainless steel. This works and have had zero issues. But be cautious, this bolt is stronger than the motor aluminum threads. If you blow the threads out on the motor you are SOL. Stark will void the warranty. The bolt heads bottom out on the motor cover and this oil plug has to be low profile; hex head is the only option.

It should be snug, there is no PSI forcing the oil out.

WeiSen M10 x 1.50mm Magnetic Engine Oil Drain Plug Transmission Drain Plug Compatible with Toyota Tacoma 4Runner Tundra RAV4 Sequoia Land Cruiser​

FYI for all, Stark has updated the drain bolt to hex head. See pic of the new version.IMG_6516.jpeg