Varg - Gear Oil Change

Theo

FYI for all, Stark has updated the drain bolt to hex head. See pic of the new version.
What size of hex is that? We only have the 13 mm and the 17 mm sizes included in the toolbox provided with the bike, so if it's not one of them (maybe the 13) we'll need to get a ¼" socket, too to use that torque wrench.

Duncan

I guess the straight-cut gears explain the whining noise.

My ears kind of wish they've gone for helical although my wallet would probably disagree.
I also wish it had less whining noise. I put in the thickest oil I could find, Valvoline 85-140 synthetic gear oil, slightly overfilled, no appreciable reduction in noise.
Next, I insulated the gearbox cover by applying one layer of Gorilla duct tape, then one layer of sticky-back black pipe foam insulation tape from Home Depot, then one layer of Gorilla duct tape.
Got a slight reduction in noise.

Wools

Thank you. I see the parts number, but shows old style drain plug.

I"ll contact the support. Thanks anyway.

View attachment 11738
Yeah it appears they haven’t updated the website. I contacted Stark after I stripped mine. I specifically asked if they changed the bolt, as I wasn’t going to order the same bolt. They confirmed they changed the bolt and sent me a replacement under warranty after I sent them a picture of the stripped one.

Chaconne

Yeah it appears they haven’t updated the website. I contacted Stark after I stripped mine. I specifically asked if they changed the bolt, as I wasn’t going to order the same bolt. They confirmed they changed the bolt and sent me a replacement under warranty after I sent them a picture of the stripped one.
Interesting. When I contacted them about it they sent me replacements of the old style. But I am glad they fixed it. BTW how did you remove your stripped one? I have posted pics of how to chisel it out since I had do it twice.:eek::eek::eek: And thanks for your post BTW!

bothbolts.jpg

Ross Shafer

I changed my oil for the first time last week (6 hrs, no silver solution at all, oil looked pretty fresh, though I have not ridden it hard all). I had zero problems with the OEM plug. I'm a machinist fabricator kinda guy for over 50 years so I've faced plenty of persnickety fasteners....hard for me to imagine all the problems folks have had with this one if the right torx size is used. I wonder if some went out with a poorly machined torx socket...or maybe over tightened at the factory.

Wools

Interesting. When I contacted them about it they sent me replacements of the old style. But I am glad they fixed it. BTW how did you remove your stripped one? I have posted pics of how to chisel it out since I had do it twice.:eek::eek::eek: And thanks for your post BTW!

View attachment 11739
I used a Dremel to cut a slot in the head from 9 o’clock to 3 o’clock. Then used a flat blade screwdriver angled up at the 3 o’clock position and tapped it with a hammer. Bolt spun free easier than expected, which really makes me think the bolts were/are just really soft. My bolt was definitely not over torqued and I was very careful using the correct bit, lined up straight and it still stripped.

Chaconne

I changed my oil for the first time last week (6 hrs, no silver solution at all, oil looked pretty fresh, though I have not ridden it hard all). I had zero problems with the OEM plug. I'm a machinist fabricator kinda guy for over 50 years so I've faced plenty of persnickety fasteners....hard for me to imagine all the problems folks have had with this one if the right torx size is used. I wonder if some went out with a poorly machined torx socket...or maybe over tightened at the factory.
I used the right size torx and actually used different bits which were new. I think you touched on it somewhat, the machining on the bolt itself was poor and the material was very soft and subject to heat and different material mating. That Stark changed the design of the bolt (which is a good thing) speaks to the problem I think.

There were multiple reports of the problem and some supportive content creators encountered the issue live on youtube. Having owned dirtbikes since the 70s it is not uncommon for European machines to have poor metal work on certain components. This has been true from the days of Bultaco to the last KTM I bought in 2020. I think the great thing is that Stark noted the problem and fixed it quickly which you can't always say for the other Euros.

Chaconne

I used a Dremel to cut a slot in the head from 9 o’clock to 3 o’clock. Then used a flat blade screwdriver angled up at the 3 o’clock position and tapped it with a hammer. Bolt spun free easier than expected, which really makes me think the bolts were/are just really soft. My bolt was definitely not over torqued and I was very careful using the correct bit, lined up straight and it still stripped.
Same.

Foss

Are these being shipping out now if you order just the plug from stark? I have 5-6 of there shitty old ones. They should replace each of them with their new plugs and no cost to be honest.

Chaconne

@Foss FYI I followed up with Stark sent them the picture of the new bolt and said that was what I wanted. And they said their site had not been update with the new pic and I would get the new one.

Bolt came today and sure as shit it was the old one. Glad I only ordered 1. Resent another mail saying they sent what I didn't want. Will post when I hear back.

Foss

@Foss FYI I followed up with Stark sent them the picture of the new bolt and said that was what I wanted. And they said their site had not been update with the new pic and I would get the new one.

Bolt came today and sure as shit it was the old one. Glad I only ordered 1. Resent another mail saying they sent what I didn't want. Will post when I hear back.
Yea that was my concern, some companies will off load the remaining stock they have to they don’t lose money. This may just be a fluke, but i’m sure you will get the new bolt at no cost, just the inconvenience.

But there seems to be a lot of miscommunication with there warehouse so even if you get the correct bolt, others will face the same issue.

Chaconne

Hi All, Happy to report Stark got back to me and said sorry it was a mistake and that they would send me the update bolt... Very happy with their fast service.:ricky: